Wednesday 30 May 2012

Together We'll Change The World


It was a hazy day but it was our day. What did we expect, we were in Berlin on a spring day. The weather was unpredictable. Melanie followed us clutching my coat and bouquet.

Just days before our wedding, Lee suggested we walk part of the wall that still remained. “We are in Berlin” he said. “We may never come back. Think about it. Who else gets to do that on their wedding day.” 

I laughed. “You can’t be serious. It’s our big day. Nobody does something like that on their big day.” I said. 

A dream you dream alone is only a 
dream. A dream you dream together 
is reality
~ John Lennon
But Lee was adamant, he had that look in his eye. “And we are not everybody. You and me - we are different! Together we are going to change the world.”  There was a moment’s silence between us but I knew I had to compromise on this point. Lee was a true revolutionist. “I won’t be able to wear heels.” I said conceding.

Lee smiled, “I know you hate walking in heels.”

We had twenty minutes to ourselves in between the service and the reception. It was a casual affair, a handful of friends and relatives. They didn’t see me slip off my pretty white heels and put on my boots - Melanie following closely behind.

We walked up to the wall. Lee put his hand out and touched history. The wall of shame that divided families and showed the German post war government for what it really was.

My husband caught my hand told me he loved me - I felt the passion in his voice. I hitched up my dress already dirtied by the street. A smile spread on my lips, “we are going to change the world”,  I mumbled as we headed to our wedding reception. 

About the photo: Berlin is amazing, it has more character than any other place I have been. This photos was taken at the East Side Gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment